The Amnesty International has urged Riyadh not to close its border before the people fleeing war in northern Yemen, the Alsahwa website reported on Tuesday.
In a letter to Saudi Arabia's Interior minister, the organization said the call comes after reports that Saudis had prevented the Yemeni people fleeing a more than month-fighting between the government forces and the Houthi insurgents in Saada and Amran from entering its territory. According to the reports, Saudis also sent back Yemeni civilians who could reach the kingdom to the war-affected areas in Yemen. Moreover, the organization expressed its concern about the situation on the Yemeni-Saudi border. Days ago and amid persistent confrontations between the government forces and the Houthi rebels, Yemen said it was negotiating aid delivery for the affected people in the north through Saudi Arabia territory.The move was prompted by relief organizations' calls on the Yemeni government and the rebels to provide safe routes to deliver aid for thousands of displaced people.In this context, the UN coordinator at the International Organization for Migration Walter Bruzzon said one of the most important points the UN Yemen Mission was discussing is how to provide aid for the affected through Saudi northern parts.Moreover, the media official at the World Food Program Maria Santamarina said that the WFP last month sent a negotiator to Saudi Arabia to identify supply, store and port ways to accelerate aid delivery for the Yemenis affected by fighting.Yemen and Saudi Arabia showed cooperation on the matter, with the latter allowing in relief organizations to evaluate the situation ahead of starting delivery operations.