Yemen expects $ 1.1 b in tourism revenues in 2010
The Source: sana'a/hadhramaut.info/sabanews.net - 20/12/2010
Home \
Local News
The tourism revenues are expected to reach $ 1.1 billion this year including an estimated $ 600 million during the 20th Gulf soccer championship that took place through November 22 to December 05 in the south, Tourism Minister said.
Yemen posted last year $ 9.3 million in tourism revenues in 2009. In a statement to the Saudi al Watan newspaper, Nabil al Faqhi said his ministry aims to develop the tourism sector by 7 per cent to create 370000 more jobs including 91000 direct opportunities.Attracting visitors from the Arabian Gulf countries is a good alternative for western tourism hampered by incidents such as kidnappings and political and security problems, he said.We are focusing on family tourism for the Gulf people because Yemen is a good place for such type of tourism, he added.In reply to a question on the tourism integration with kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the minister made it clear that Yemen seeks to boost cooperation with its neighbor through the Umrah plus programme currently discussed in the kingdom.Yemen will try to attract pilgrims from south Asia while on their to Saudi Arabia through the programme, he said, adding that there are about 5 million people from Yemeni descent living in south Asian countries.In fact, we are currently implementing many campaigns in Europe, Asia and the GCC to restore the image of Yemen seen as au unrest country, he said, pointing out that the campaigns are promoting Yemeni tourism.Meanwhile, we urge the media worldwide to come to Yemen and take a close look at Yemen's potential to introduce the country properly, he said.
|